Friday 1 June 2007

Macbeth

For my private English lessons just now I am reading through Macbeth. I am enjoying it hugely and now that we have finished the first two acts I feel that I am starting to get the hang of Shakespeare.
At first I had great trouble with understanding what each line meant because of the older language. I would have to spend a few minutes working out what each line meant but now I am beginning to relax and I am finding the play intriguing and very enjoyable.
My favourite quote so far is "he unseamed him from nave to th'chaps" I find this quote brilliant as it easily shows the gore because a slice from the head downwards is almost less sickening than inserting the blade at the belly and then ripping upwards "with his brandished steel which smoked with bloody execution".
Next Tuesday I shall be missing my lesson so I will try and not forget the plot in the next fortnight.

6 comments:

Christine McIntosh said...

One thing you might like to consider is the idea of writing a blog post for each of the three major characters - Macbeth, Lady Macbeth and Banquo - in which you note what you've learned about them so far. Use key quotes to back up you assertions, and write further posts to bring us up to date as you learn more.

Doing this would provide you with a valuable resource when you come to write a full critical essay on the play.

Liz O'Neill said...

I think this is a great idea. My S4 group are just finishing studying Macbeth and since we have also started a class wiki they might be able to use this to put together their own resources.

Stewart said...

I did Macbeth at school (not with Chris though... she made us do Hamlet!). It was great. Lady Macbeth's descent into mental illness is so well observed. I wonder if Shakespear knew it would end up being called Obsessive Compulsive Disorder?

Look forward to reading your thoughts.

Christine McIntosh said...

Come on, Eric - let's be having some more work on this before I see you this week!

An Honest Man said...

Don't ever think you'll "get the hang of Shakespeare": as your life influences change, so will your perception of all of his writing. I really didn't have time for his plays at school, apart from the need to write exam papers on them, but I read/see them now for pleasure.

Your perspective now is totally valid for you, but if you read it in 10/20... years from now, it will probably have changed.

That doesn't make what you feel now invalid, but be aware it will almost certainly change with time.

Mrs Wheatley said...

Hey Eric :P Martha here. Heh heh heh.