Wednesday 13 June 2007

Macbeth - character view

Having now reached the end of Act 3 Scene 3 my views of the different characters have changed so much that I feel that if I don't write them down I will forget my original opinions of them as the play progresses so here are my views of Macbeth so far.
At first my opinion was that Macbeth was a great warrior and a nobleman with high morals and patriotism. However, as the play continued and he allowed the 3 witches to convince him of his potential to be king my faith in him began to wane - my faith in his good nature finally choked and died - along with Duncan. The only thing that stopped him becoming a monster was the horror he endured for killing the king - so I forgave him. He then shoved it right back in my face planning and ordering to have Banquo murdered.

2 comments:

Christine McIntosh said...

Your perceptions are spot on. Now think about backing them up with evidence from the play. You need some quotations - like, for example, "Brave Macbeth"or "Bellona's bridegroom" to stress his bravery as a warrior.

If you do this as you go along, you will find any final essay really easy to put together, as all your evidence will be to hand.

An Honest Man said...

You begin to see how outside influences affect the person and how, once started on a path, it becomes very difficult to turn.

The same applies today which is one of the reasons the plays have not lost their relevance.

I'm enjoying your comments - they refresh my enjoyment of the writing.